Let's Go Nuts For Nuts
Nuts and seeds are packed with ‘good’ oils which are very important for heart health. They are full of protein, keeping your muscles working well. Not only that, they are also packed with loads of vitamins and minerals, making them little nutrition powerhouses. We know we should eat more of them but what other ways can we get the benefits of nuts instead of just munching on them?
1. Try swapping your peanut butter for a different kind of nut butter.
You can get all sorts these days, almond butter, walnut butter, pistachio butter.
2. Use ground nuts, almond meal, hazelnut flour or any other nut flour instead of regular flour for your baking recipes.
3. Add ground nuts and/or seeds to your breakfast smoothie.
4. Sprinkle nuts and/or seeds over your favorite cereal.
5. If you make your own granola bars or muesli, throw in some of your favorite nuts or seeds like hazelnuts, pecans, flaxseed and linseed.
6. When you're buying bread or crackers, choose the variety with the most seeds added.
7. Sprinkle nuts on top of yogurt and any green or fruit salad.
8. Make your own trail mix with nuts, seeds, dried fruit and maybe even some dark chocolate.
Get lots of yummy trail mix recipe ideas from here.
9. This one is a bit decadent but they are delicious caramelized.
Pear, arugula, blue cheese and caramelized walnut is particularly good. Here’s a great recipe that doesn’t use too much sugar