12 Ways To Keep Cool On A Hot Summer's Day!
We are well into summer and there has definitely been some warm days. Keeping cool when temperatures get up there isn't just about comfort. We need to be well hydrated to avoid risks of dehydration and heat-related illnesses. These tips can help you keep cool during the warm summer days.
1. Wearing light colored, loose-fitting clothing will help keep you cool and comfortable. The dark colors absorb light and heat.
2. Cotton clothing will keep you cooler than most synthetics.
3. A cool shower (or even a couple of them throughout the day!) is a great way to beat the heat.
4. Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it in the refrigerator for a quick refreshing spray to your face after being outdoors.
5. Being well hydrated is very important to stay cool. So, drink plenty of water. Keep a jug of water in the refrigerator. Try a squeeze of lemon or lime to your water for a refreshing drink. To find out ways to help increase your fluid intake, read Keep Drinking, It's Good For You!
6. Keep a bottle of water in the refrigerator, grab it on your way out and remember to keep sipping on it.
7. Instead of hot foods, try lighter, frequent meals and snacks like sandwiches, fruit, salad, cold dairy products or frozen desserts (ice cream, popsicles)
8. If you are not at home, keep the curtains drawn and blinds down. This will prevent the sun from getting in and heating up the house.
9. Fans can help circulate air and make you feel cooler even in an air-conditioned house.
10. Plan your activities for the cooler times of the day (early morning or late evening) so that you don't have to be outside during the sun's peak hours between 11 am and 4 pm.
11. If you don't have air conditioning, arrange to spend parts of the day in a shopping mall, public library, movie theater or other public spaces that are cool.
12. If the heat is intolerable, stay indoors when you can and avoid activities in direct sunlight.