10 ways to add more vegetables into your day
There are many people who have grown tired of the phrase 'you need to include more vegetables into your diet'. Often the reasons behind this are that vegetables are viewed as 'boring', 'bland', 'just too hard to cook with'. But the ironic part is, they aren't. In fact, there are many easy and delicious ways to increase our vegetable intake, it's just that we need to find out what those tips and tricks are! Here are 10 of these tips:
1. When making eggs in the morning, try adding in a handful of vegetables like spinach, tomatoes, onions, courgettes or mushrooms.
2. Most people don't think of adding vegetables to their morning smoothie, but it can be an easy way to boost your vegetable intake. A good vegetable to add in is spinach - you'll barely taste it! You might like to give this Berry Green Smoothie recipe a go.
3. Butter, margarine and jam aren't the only things you can spread on your toast. Try topping your toast with avocado, tomato, fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of lemon juice. There are so many other flavor combinations that you can try.
4. Grill your vegetables, you don't need much for it! Just add some cooking oil, salt and your favorite herbs on vegetables like cauliflower, beetroot or carrots.
5. Brunch fritters: Just looking at this Spinach Lentil Fritters will make you want to run to the grocery store to pick up some vegetables.
6. Add in vegetables like spinach, carrots, onions or cucumber to your sandwich - what could be simpler?
7. For an afternoon snack, thinly slice vegetables (beetroot, carrot, eggplant, or sweet potato) and then drizzle them with a little olive oil and season with salt and rosemary. Bake until crisp.
8. Another alternative is to dip freshly cut vegetables like carrot, cucumber and celery into hummus or guacamole. Who doesn't love guacamole?
9. Or try making your own vegetable dip to go along with it. Here's a delicious Creamy Cilantro Cucumber Dip you'd love.
10. Finally, when making wraps, try replacing the bread with some crisp fresh lettuce - it will taste just as good.