10 Easy Ways To Include Protein In Any Meal Of The Day
Our muscles do so much more for us than we may realize - they support our joints to reduce arthritis pain, stop us from falling if we miss a step, help us recover from surgery and fight illness or infection.
Unfortunately, as we grow older, our muscle mass decreases. So, we really need to take extra care of our muscles by eating enough protein and exercising! Some good sources of protein are meats, fish, chicken, turkey, dairy foods, beans, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. It’s best to spread your protein intake throughout the day rather than in one meal. Below are 10 easy ways to include proteins in any meal of the day:
1. Add yogurt, nuts and seeds to your favorite breakfast cereal or porridge. You might like to give this flax and blueberry vanilla overnight oat recipe a go!
2. Start your day with eggs! Enjoy eggs with toast or in an omelet.
3. Add cheese, ham or any alternative meat that you like in a sandwich.
4. Add some tuna, beans, nuts or egg on top of a salad.
5. Fill 1/4 of your plate with protein-rich food at dinner - red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs or legumes (e.g. chickpeas, beans)
6. Include tofu, lentils, beans or some dairy with dinner.
7. Add some cheese or peanut butter to your crackers.
8. A yogurt pot or pudding cup makes a delicious snack between meals.
9. Drink more milk throughout the day.
10. Add nuts to your salad or have a handful of nuts as a snack.